Monday, February 2, 2009

Preparations...

Before the trip goes off, we start here. In less than two weeks, we leave for Eastern Europe. Thanks to the planning and connections of Judi Freeman, the fearless leader, we have a big itinerary in front of us. By we I mean myself, four other chaperones, and 46 high school juniors and seniors. As for our itinerary; we are traveling to Berlin, Krakow, and Prague. Along with many museums, memorials, and historical sites, we will be visiting concentration camps in Auschwitz, Majdanek, and Terezin.

Personally, there are a lot of things that I am looking to gain from this trip. Eastern Europe is not a place that I had ever considered visiting, so it will be great to travel there with a healthy mix of first time travelers and more knowledgeable, worldly folks. We are, however, not just heading over to see castles and art museums. We are going to visit sites of some of the worst atrocities in modern history. What will this mean for the worldview of the members of our group? Is this going to be a life changing event for all involved, or will it fade into the past when it is done? The trip is associated with Judi's Facing History course which, according to the program's website, sets out to allow students to link the past to moral choices today. I am eager to be part of this experience, both personally, and as a teacher.

The teacher part of my life has all played out at Boston Latin School. BLS is an excellent school, with wonderful students, many of whom go on to do great things. However, my day to day interactions with students are often very rushed, structured, and incomplete. In order to teach science to my (140ish) students, efficiency is key. Class starts when the bell rings, and every minute is managed. On one hand, good learning science needs structure, and I believe that in order to be effective I need to exercise a certain amount of control over the scope and focus of discovery in my classroom. On the other hand, things can often be lost in the shuffle. Teachable moments may pass because we have to continue class to finish an experiment that is time-sensitive, or because the term is ending in a week. I am looking forward to the trip environment where, although we have very definite places to be, the learning objectives are less definite. Everyone's reactions to what we see and where we go will fall along a vast continuum of reactions and lessons. I am not the most knowledgeable chaperone on this trip for sure, but I am looking forward to sharing in a collective learning experience that is, for me at least, much less clearly defined.

That is, however, in the future. Current pressing needs are packing, purchasing lots of snacks and cold medicine, and practicing German, Polish, and Czech phrases.

3 comments:

  1. I share your sense of this trip being a different type of student-teacher experience. I went on the Eastern Europe trip in 2005 and It was a life-changing experience. But your experience of each place will be different, watching through different eyes, different companions, a different current world. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity for all to experience and discuss that particular time in history. I'm sure it will have a large impact on all involved. I look forward to reading your posts along your journey. And what, no Yiddish? Oy gevalt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear everyone arrived safely. It will be interesting to see everything through the eyes of the student, teacher and tourist. The excitement of visiting history with all of its beauty & wonder while experiencing a place in time that's so important to never forget...certainly a remarkable opportunity. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete